Re: How to prevent daemons from ever being started?

El Mon, May 15, 2006 at 10:27:12AM -0500, martin f krafft va escriure:
> also sprach Uwe Hermann <uwe@hermann-uwe.de> [2006.05.15.1009 -0500]:
> > What is "the Debian way" to prevent any daemon from ever starting,
> > whether upon reboot, upon upgrade, upon new install etc.
>
> Right now, the best you can do is
>
> >  * /usr/sbin/update-rc.d -f foobar remove
> >    to prevent the starting of the daemon upon reboot. However, most
> >    often this will have to be done _again_ if the foobar package is
> >    upgraded...
>
> and then run
>
>   update-rc.d foobar stop 0 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 .
>
> This will "stop" it on startup, and if the package is upgraded,
> update-rc.d will not install new links, because some are already in
> place.

Just FYI, to perform this task I use the sysv-rc-conf program (included on the
package with the same name):

  # sysv-rc-conf foobar off

The advantage of using this program instead of doing things manually is that
if you re-enable the service:

  # sysv-rc-conf foobar on

the rc.d links are returned to the status they had before the 'off' call.

--
Sergio Talens-Oliag <sto@debian.org>   <http://people.debian.org/~sto/>
Key fingerprint = 29DF 544F  1BD9 548C  8F15 86EF  6770 052B  B8C1 FA69