Re: Debian Kernel security status?

On Wed, Apr 19, 2006 at 03:56:41PM -0600, Michael Loftis wrote:
> Increasingly 2.6 is unsuitable for production use due to its huge amount of
> change and lack of stable tree.  There was a decision to do away with the
> old split development/odd numbered development model sometime after about
> 2.6.11 so all hope of a stable 2.6 series is gone.

Speaking as the admin of a large (several hundred hosts) Debian
installation, I agree.  Hopefully something will come of
http://kerneltrap.org/node/6386

Speaking as a Security Team secretary, you should not treat all kernel
CVEs as equal.  Many of them are low priority information leaks, hard to
exploit DoS attacks, or only effect obscure hardware.  Many of them
affect only a very few users or are only exploitable in theory.  None of
them are being widely exploited.  Rest assured that, if a remote root
exploit is discovered in the kernel tomorrow, we'll have a fix out
promptly.

I don't mean for the above to be interpreted as though the Debian
security team does not take kernel security seriously.  That's quite the
opposite.  However, releasing a new kernel update for every CVE that
comes out is really not in anybody's interest.

noah