Re: Debian Kernel security status?

--On April 19, 2006 4:50:27 PM +0200 Jan Luehr <listen@stephan.homeunix.net> wrote:

Hello,

looking at the recent vanilla changes, there seem to be a rather rapid
development at the moment ;-) and I've to confess, that I lost the
overview,  what sec-holes do affect debian and which don't.

I was frightend recently, then I noticed that 2.4.27 was fixing
somecve-2004  stuff other a month ago as well as 2.6.

Just take a look at CVE-2004-1017. It was fixed in red hat in january
2005 and  fixed in debian in march 2006.

Therefore I suspect, that the debian kernel do have some security flaws,
fixed  in mainline kernel months ago. Am I wrong here?

This takes me to a difficult point:
- I can run 2.4 on my servers, what is considered to be depracted for
etch. - I can use the debian kernels and risk being compromised.
- I can say goodbye to linux and use Debian/kBSD
- I can use my own vanilla builds, building a new kernel every day.
(Looking  at the amount of patches since april 12th.)

Anyway, what do you recommend?
And is there any public status / shape information on the debian kernels?

Increasingly 2.6 is unsuitable for production use due to its huge amount of change and lack of stable tree. There was a decision to do away with the old split development/odd numbered development model sometime after about 2.6.11 so all hope of a stable 2.6 series is gone.