Re: avahi-daemon

On Fri, Mar 03, 2006, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> On Fri, 03 Mar 2006, Loïc Minier wrote:
> > On Fri, Mar 03, 2006, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > True.  But that requires a broken kernel, which we patch regularly as a
> > > security procedure anyway.  Mounting removable filesystems suid,dev allow a
> > > lot more damage *by design* in the standard Linux security-model.
> >
> >  And we also support avahi security-wise, and would patch it in the case
> >  of a knwon vulnerability.
> Nobody ever implied that avahi is badly maintained.  And unless mdns/avahi
> is somehow being shipped configured in such a way so as to allow for
> immediate local root priviledge escalations, I don't think I understood the
> point you wanted to make.

 You were making the point that it's a security bug to mount USB sticks
 automatically without nodev and nosuid, and people responded to you
 that it was already a security risk to mount a filesystem automatically.
 You finally replied that implies a borken kernel and the kernel is
 supported security-wise.

 My point was to draw the following parallel:
 - mounting a filesystem automatically <=> listening on the network
 - kernel vulnerable <=> avahi vulnerable
 - kernel supported security-wise <=> avahi supported security-wise
 (- protecting with nodev nosuid <=> not having anything advertized)

> I stated that the fact that an hipotetic kernel bug *also* allows for local
> root exploits through a nosuid,nodev removable filesystem does *not* excuse
> us to have removable filesystems being mounted suid,dev, which depending on
> the filesystem type allows for immediate local root privilege escalation,
> *by* *design*.

 Which I completely agree with.  But by default, no music is shared via
 avahi, so it would require a bug in avahi (exactly like it would
 require a bug in the kernel) to do anything nasty.

   Cheers,

--
Loïc Minier <lool@dooz.org>
Current Earth status:   NOT DESTROYED