Re: avahi-daemon

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006, Loïc Minier wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > True.  But that requires a broken kernel, which we patch regularly as a
> > security procedure anyway.  Mounting removable filesystems suid,dev allow a
> > lot more damage *by design* in the standard Linux security-model.
>
>  And we also support avahi security-wise, and would patch it in the case
>  of a knwon vulnerability.

Nobody ever implied that avahi is badly maintained.  And unless mdns/avahi
is somehow being shipped configured in such a way so as to allow for
immediate local root priviledge escalations, I don't think I understood the
point you wanted to make.

I stated that the fact that an hipotetic kernel bug *also* allows for local
root exploits through a nosuid,nodev removable filesystem does *not* excuse
us to have removable filesystems being mounted suid,dev, which depending on
the filesystem type allows for immediate local root privilege escalation,
*by* *design*.

> Current Earth status:   NOT DESTROYED
How fortunate, that ;-)

  Henrique Holschuh