Re: avahi-daemon

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006, Michael Stone wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 10:47:56AM -0300, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> >Mounting malicious filesystems automatically (vfat can't be one AFAIK, but
> >it won't bork if you tell it to be nosuid, nodev either) is never a
> >feature,
> >it is a security hole.
>
> Well, a filesystem can be malicious whether it's mounted nosuid or not.
> Consider the case of a crafted directory structure that tickles a kernel
> bug, for example. There's no question that making things easier for

True.  But that requires a broken kernel, which we patch regularly as a
security procedure anyway.  Mounting removable filesystems suid,dev allow a
lot more damage *by design* in the standard Linux security-model.

So, I repeat my question: should we hunt down and file bugs (grave or worse)
on packages automounting removable media without nosid, nodev ?

  Henrique Holschuh