Re: On Mozilla-* updates

The solution to this problem is simple.  We change the meaning of stable
to "stable except for such cases as security demands upgrading versions
rather than backporting patches." And then leave the old insecure version
of the package in place as <package.name.insecure>.

We can dilly dally about it all we want but this is really the only viable
solution. Leaving bad packages around is not an option. Taking mozilla or
other core parts of most users computing experience is not really an
option (unless we want to put ourselves even farther out on the fringe).
So upgrading broken packages is our last option.  It may be unpalatable to
some, and perhaps more work, but according to this discussion it will
still be less work then trying to backport the security patches alone.

We are making a mountain out of a mole hill.  If help is needed to do
this, email me off list and I will try and help.  I have servers that can
be used to build at least two of the architectures.

David.

--
David Ehle
Computing Systems Manager

He who fights with monsters must take care lest he thereby become a
monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into
you.