Re: On Mozilla-* updates

I agree with David's suggestion to just put the latest releases from
Mozilla into Debian Stable.

I installed Mozilla 1.7.11 yesterday and it is working fine.  Mozilla IS
my main app.   I'm using Debian/GNU Linux from Knoppix 3.7 that I
remastered and ugraded to Debian Stable. I'm running with kernel 2.4.31
that I compiled with gcc-2.95 because I also need a certain proprietory
binary module that was compiled with gcc-2.95.

I simply purged the Mozilla debs then installed the new binary from
mozilla.org.  I only had to change the link on my KDE menu to
'/usr/local/mozilla/run-mozilla.sh' to get it to go.

John

David Ehle wrote:

The solution to this problem is simple.  We change the meaning of stable
to "stable except for such cases as security demands upgrading versions
rather than backporting patches." And then leave the old insecure version
of the package in place as <package.name.insecure>.

We can dilly dally about it all we want but this is really the only viable
solution.

[snip]