Re: On Mozilla-* updates

On Sun, Jul 31, 2005 at 10:29:46PM +0400, Nikita V. Youshchenko wrote:

> Requiring users to install an important component (which Mozilla is) from
> other sources is a bad idea in this context. I think it should not be the
> way how Debian solves it's problems.

in thecase of mozilla this is not entirely true. I don't see any program
depending on mozilla (and not belonging to the mozilla-family) that
cannot be made dependant on other browsers.
so it might be possible to write a script or dummy package that only
integrates an upstream-mozilla in the current debian-system (just like
those scripts that do the same for sun or ibm jre):
- user/admin installs mozilla from upstream
- installs mozilla-dummy
- runs `gimme-mozilla-upstream --make-it-default-browser`
- is - more or less - happy.

The job for Debian would then be to
- take care the script doesn't break anything
- take care it works with current releases of mozilla. (as long as
  current mozilla runs on debian)

> >> (2). If binary incompatibility is detected,
> >
> > ... which is most probably going to happen...
>
> Do you have enough statistics to make this statement?

it happened to Mozilla and woody: upstream made mozilla depend on e
newer libc. There was no way to install a new mozilla on old stable.

As a matter of fact things like this will happen again. it's just a
matter of time.

> >> these packages should conflict
> >> with incompatible versions of all packages in Debian that depend on
> >
> > So you provide mozilla, but throw out other packages away?
>
> Of course no. We should provide upgrades for all packages in the set at the
> same time.

this will be, as already has been said, a hard job, should one of these
packages be one of the core libraries or packages (like libc,
gnome-something or others). Some packages have a really huge set of
dependencies, one way or the other.

g'night
Horst

--
Whistler: "I want peace on earth and good will toward man."
Abbott: "Oh, this is ridiculous!"