Re: safety of encrypted filesystems

martin f krafft <madduck@debian.org> writes:

> However, doesn't CBC or EBC make sure that every block is
> chained to its predecessor, making even the very last block of
> a file dependent on the bits of the very first block?

Yes and no.  If you change the first block in a set of
CBC-chained blocks, the last block will change.  But to recover
the contents of the last block, you only need the last block and
the preceding block (and the key).
--
"I was born lazy.  I am no lazier now than I was forty years ago,
 but that is because I reached the limit forty years ago.  You can't