Re: safety of encrypted filesystems

* martin f. krafft:

> Encrypted filesystems are hip these days, [...]

Are they?  I thought most of the fuzz was about encrypted block
devices.

> If such a bad block occurs and renders a small part of the encrypted
> file unreadable, wouldn't the entire partition and all its data be
> effectively destroyed?

A corrupt sector corrupts the remaining part of the block.  Block
sizes are much smaller than 1 GB because when part of a block is
changed, all the following bytes have to be rewritten (if a reasonable
the cipher mode is used).

By the way, the very fact that the block is not lost completely
indicates a major cryptographic weakness: there are no integrity
checks at all.  (The constant IV problem is another one.)  These
weaknesses don't matter in many scenarios, but it's still an
undesirable situation.