Re: safety of encrypted filesystems

also sprach Florian Weimer <fw@deneb.enyo.de> [2005.06.17.0834 +0200]:
> > Encrypted filesystems are hip these days, [...]
>
> Are they?  I thought most of the fuzz was about encrypted block
> devices.

That's what I mean.

> > If such a bad block occurs and renders a small part of the encrypted
> > file unreadable, wouldn't the entire partition and all its data be
> > effectively destroyed?
>
> A corrupt sector corrupts the remaining part of the block.  Block
> sizes are much smaller than 1 GB because when part of a block is
> changed, all the following bytes have to be rewritten (if a reasonable
> the cipher mode is used).

Of course blocks are small, e.g. 64 bytes. However, doesn't CBC or
EBC make sure that every block is chained to its predecessor, making
even the very last block of a file dependent on the bits of the very
first block?

`. `'`

DISCLAIMER: this entire message is privileged communication, intended
for the sole use of its recipients only. If you read it even though
you know you aren't supposed to, you're a poopy-head.