Re: Packet sniffing & regular users

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, s. keeling wrote:

> Incoming from Alvin Oga:

> > anybody and everybody has "local access" with or without permission

> > that's trivial to do ... assuming you allow anybody to reboot a pc
>
> Are you confusing "local access" with "physical access?"  With the
> latter, all bets are off and any security you rely on on the running
> system is irrelevant.

ah .. good point ... i make no distinction between "local access"
vs "physical access"  in that if the server is behind the locked
door, it'd be better than if its on the corp server in the next
open cubicle on the same cat 5 wires, hubs and switches etc

> > sniffers:
> > 	http://linux-sec.net/Sniffers
> >
> > 	i like pfilt.pl ... anybody, non-techies can use it and sniff
>
> http://www.linux-sec.net/Sniffer/Scripts/royans.net/pfilt.pl

that's the one i like .. simple .. ez

it didn't go anywhere else for me .. but okay .. there are some
cross links to get to the same file

> Your link points at wireless sniffers?

rest of the wireless sniffer and wep crackers

	http://www.Linux-Wireless.org/Sniffers/

> But thanks for that.  Interesting site.

the ones i "understood" to some extent
	( ez enuff to see, and use )

and for corp managers ( non-techies ) to run it and say "oh shit"

c ya
alvin