Re: Packet sniffing & regular users

On Wed, 2 Mar 2005, David Mandelberg wrote:

> Alvin Oga wrote:
> > 	no more telnet, no more pop3, no more wireless, no more
> > 	anything that is insecure
> Those are not insecure: using them unwisely is. Telnet over a VPN is just as
> secure as ssh with password authentication. The same goes for pop3/pop3s.

yup ...

> Wireless is completely different in that it has many uses.

yup.. which is the basic problem ??

if one was to use vpn across wirelss .. that'd be fun too :-)

i've seen (email/passwd) packets over the wireless so its not
an issue for me to sniff the wireless though i cheat a little

> For example, if I
> want to run a library's or other public place's system such that anybody can get
> Internet access, wireless would be perfect. One common argument for what I just
> said is that people can sniff other's traffic, but the same goes for an ethernet
> network with (a) switch(es) connecting the computers, all that's necessary there
> is an arp spoof attack.

exactly.... and i'm very interested to see and will spend the time to
see which "consumer switches" is susceptible to arp attacks or other forms
of attacks that allows the remote sniffer to see the supposed
"i'm behind a switch so i'm not sniffable" packets

	http://www.Linux-Sec.net/Sniffer/#Switches

c ya
alvin