Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 09:24 +0200, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:
> > > The point remains that while telnet/ftp should be treated as deprecated
>  Why is that exactly?
> There is no replacement for ftp, and I don't know of any problems with it?
>  Please enlighten me.

ftp == good enough for public upload and download in a chroot
environment.

scp == the preferred method for data transfer between machines. Nearly
as fast on semi-modern machines. pscp == the windows equivalent for
regault *NIXX scp.

I have no problems with scp, best part there isn't the mistaken problem
of transfer in ASCII mode, when it should be in IMAGE mode (or BINARY
mode) or Vice-Versa.

We should get rid of TelnetD (The Telnet Daemon) For practical purposes
beyond place where there is no option, keep the telnet Client. About the
only thing I can think of that is useful for port 23 == mud'ing

At the very least, telnetd should not ever be installed as default.
--
greg@gregfolkert.net

the playfield. -- Thane Walkup