Re: repeated requests for a file favicon.ico

On 6 Oct 2004, Emil Perhinschi wrote:
> Sorry to bother, but is this an attack? I get repeated requests for a
> file "favicon.ico" that should have been, or so the client connecting
> believes, in the root of my htdocs.

Yup.  Ages ago Microsoft added support for displaying that icon next to
various bits of your URL, including in the favorites.

Now, Mozilla and Opera browsers also fetch it, and probably most others.

> The conections come from different hosts, and at least in some it
> seems to be running Konqueror, so it is not a Windows worm: "GET /
> HTTP/1.1" 200 1004 "-" "Mozilla/5.0 (compatible; Konqueror/2.2.2;
> Linux)".

...and Konqueror, so also Safari, which covers pretty much everything
browsing the web today. :)

[...]

> it's a little bit offtopic, but I found nothing about it on cert.org

Yeah. Just ignore it. :)
      Daniel
--
You must have the devil in you to succeed in any of the arts.
        -- Voltaire