Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Mon, 27 Sep 2004 at 04:08:38PM -0400, Greg Folkert wrote:
> I have no problems with scp, best part there isn't the mistaken problem
> of transfer in ASCII mode, when it should be in IMAGE mode (or BINARY
> mode) or Vice-Versa.

ASCII mode actually serves a purpose when you are communicating with a
machine that uses EBCDIC.  If you specify ASCII file mode, the EBCDIC
machine is responsible for doing the EBCDIC to ASCII conversation.  If
you just ask for "Binary" you'll get garbage when you open the file
because it is in EBCDIC! (I have this experience from an IBM MVS
Environment).

--
Phillip Hofmeister