Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 08:28:13AM +1000, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> Cisco gear contains the Debian telnetd?  And if that's true, how would us
> releasing a DSA for it necessarily help all the Cisco routers out there.
> We're not talking about the general intelligence of using telnet (or, at
> least, that wasn't the initial topic of discussion), but rather the
> possibility of fixing security problems in the stock telnetd in Debian.

The question asked was "why is anyone still using telnet
when there is ssh". And I would say that Cisco and some
other gear are about the only reasons why anyone would
still make a connection with the telnet protocol (other
than for testing odd things... I used to use 'telnet foo 110'
to hand test my company pop server when someone had problems.

So no, I was not replying about Debian fixes, I was replying
to the general question of 'why telnet at all'.

   Dale Amon     amon@islandone.org    +44-7802-188325
       International linux systems consultancy
     Hardware & software system design, security
    and networking, systems programming and Admin
	      "Have Laptop, Will Travel"