Re: telnetd vulnerability from BUGTRAQ

On Sat, 25 Sep 2004, Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Richard A Nelson (cowboy@debian.org):
>
> > Yes, I have putty on *my* windows boxen...  But there are still
> > significant numbers of boxes that I use - MVS/VM (z/OS)...
>
> OpenSSH works on MVS.  See:
> http://www.stdnet.com/uploads/media/MOVEit-DMZ-Compatible-Clients.PDF.

Yes indeed, but MVS isn't an OS where mere mortals get to install
software...  So I'd most likely be stuck with only client support.

MVS is getting telnet-SSL support also - and I use that where I can

> , W2k, etc.
>
> Innumerable SSH implementations work on MS-Windows 2000.  See:
> http://linuxmafia.com/ssh/win32.html

I typically use cygwin on *MY* laptop, but when away from that -
I try not to install random software on other's boxen

> For others, please see:  http://linuxmafia.com/ssh/
>
> > ...that require me to allow directed telnet to my laptop/workstation.
>
> Maybe, but not the ones you mentioned.

ok, I should've said to/from my laptop (and occaisionally other boxen)

The point remains that while telnet/ftp should be treated as deprecated
when feasible, sometimes there just aren't alternatives... and even
stock w98 had a built-in telnet client.

--
Rick Nelson
Besides, its really not worthwhile to use more than two times your physical