Re: Spyware / Adware

I have been using Linux continuously for 4 years and have never once
been infected with a virus, trojan, or adware.  It simply doesn't
happen.  However, I have seen unmaintained machines get hacked.  Like
any software, you need to stay current to stay safe.  Debian has an
excellent security record, and it includes a great tool for software
updates (apt).   You should also learn what services your machine is
running and why, and turn off the ones you don't need.

If you're completely new to Linux, you might want to check out one of
the bootable CD distros like Gnoppix.  You can download/buy a single
CD that boots directly into a  Debian-based desktop, without modifying
your existing system.  Gnoppix has very good autoconfiguration,
possibly easier to use than what's currently available in Debian
stable.