Spyware / Adware

Title: Spyware / Adware

Security,

I just purchased Debian Linux for my home PC and waiting for the CD's to arrive this week.  I'm looking forward to installing so I can eventually divorce myself from Microsoft Windows.

I've had more calls in the last few weeks from friends and relatives regarding SpyWare and Adware that was downloaded and running on their Windows PC's.

Is Linux vulnerable to these unwanted downloads and if so, how do I protect Linux so I don't have a similar issue?

Thanks

Please reply to all so your answer gets sent to my personal email address.

Dave Snyder
ITS - DBA Supervisor PD/Finance/OGC
iTek Building - Dearborn - Office: W2F197
Phone: 313 62-16647 - Fax: 313 206-3543 - Pager: 313 795-7892