Re: Why not push to stable?

also sprach Michael Stone <mstone@debian.org> [2004.06.26.1442 +0200]:
> >Oh, I've noticed. But it doesn't explain why security updates aren't
> >put into stable at the same time as they become available on
> >security.d.o. It would probably take a lot of load of klecker.
>
> Because then it wouldn't be stable, would it?

I guess. However, while the Debian connotation of stable is
preserved, the common one (as in: this release creates a stable
system) is invalidated with every security problem. I hope this
makes sense as I am failing to express it differently.

After all, stable without security.d.o is a bad idea. Therefore,
there will be only few exceptions of systems that don't have both in
sources.list. So then I ask what the advantages are of keeping
stable static at all costs? It seems to me to be somewhat purely
academic.

Note that I am not trying to nitpick or troll or flame. But I cannot
find a rationale for this approach, so I am sceptical. I hope my
questions are perceived well and yield a fruitful discussion.

`. `'`