Re: passwords changed?

On Sun, 11 Apr 2004, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 11:15:10AM +0200, LeVA wrote:
>> I always compile the latest stable 2.4 kernel with loadable modules
>> disabled, but I don't apply any kernel patches.
>> Is this "safe", or I must apply some security patch?
>
> None of the recent kernel-level vulnerabilities have required module
> support to be enabled. So no, it is not safe to run pre-2.4.25 kernels
> unless you manually apply backported fixes or use the kernels provided
> by the Debian security team.

It is probably also worth pointing out that disabling module loading
does *not* prevent people installing a kernel-mode patch (root kit) at
all.

It does make it slightly harder to achieve, but at least a few of the
root-kit systems out there are happy doing a binary patch direct to the
kernel, ignoring the module loader completely.

The only situation I can see where disabling module loading will
increase real security is where a device driver, or other code built as
a module, has a root exploit available, or enables access to an exploit.

A device driver with a flaw could do this, as could allowing someone to
load (say) the SCTP protocol, and bypass your firewall as a result.

Overall, though, disabling modules does not increase security more than
a trivial amount.

That said, I don't use modules or the module loader on most of my
servers - the added management complexity of building a custom kernel is
lower, in my experience, than the management complexity of dealing with
module loading issues, especially at boot time.

       Daniel

--
Confidence comes not from always being right but from not fearing to be wrong.
        -- Peter T. Mcintyre