Re: passwords changed?

>When was the last time you could login?  Have you done any changes since then?
>Try copying the /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to a test machine and see if it
>lets you login then (IE test if it is actually a password change or something
>broken in PAM etc).

There was a total of 5 hours between when I was succesfully able to log in and when I wasn't No changes were made between the last two times I logged in.

>What versions of sshd and proftpd?  Both of them have had security issues at
>various times.

Like debian, Redhat doesn't update version numbers when they just patch a security bug. SSH was last patched for http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/333628 and looks like the latest one. Proftp was vulnerable to this one: http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/405348 but I don't consider it a high risk, because someone would have to upload the file. The passwords were reasonably secure.

Thanks for your advice