Re: Server slowdown...

On Sun, Apr 11, 2004 at 12:28:31AM +0200, Jaroslaw Tabor wrote:
> Hello!
>
> 	I''ve strange problem with one of my servers. From time to time (once
> per 2-3 months), something strange happends, and server starts working
> very slow. What is strange, CPU load (from top) is about 5%, but
> response time for network services is extremly high. Usually gives
> timeout.
> 	After reboot, everything is working perfect. The question is where to
> start investigation. Can someone suggest some tool, to record statistics
> of CPU, Network, IO(drives) in correlation with processes ?
> Due to the fact, that problem occurs for all services, I suspect kernel
> (2.2.26) problem, but how to extract it?
> I see that 2.2.27pre1 has some fixes for tcp keepalive bug, and tcp seq
> nr wrapping bug. Can it be related ?

I'll throw this out, I don't know if it is true or urban legend . . .

In a meeting at work (I'm part of the IT group at a large corporation) someone
mentioned a particular kind of network hardware which would stop working
correctly after a while.  We have a pretty busy network with broadcasts and what
not, and apparently this device would croak after "x number of packets", perhaps
2^32 or something.  The time frame was a few weeks for the device to get to that
point.  Then someone else said some of the Dell office PC's had NICs with the
same affliction, to which I joked "That's what the sticker `made for Windows XX'
means, they expect it to be rebooted frequently enough so you don't get to that
point."  :-)

At any rate, that story bears some similarity to your situation.  That's all
I'll say.  You might try to find out if your particular NIC has any sort of
limitation like this.

--

Thank you,
Joe Bouchard