Re: name based virtual host and apache-ssl - thanx

At 18:14 on Wed, 24 Mar 2004, Elmar S. Heeb wrote:
> Well, actually there is a solution: use wild cards in the name of the
> keys.  You can make the certificate for *.mycompany.com for several web
> sites within mycompany.com, or you can go so far as to use * for any host
> name.  Most modern browsers will accept such a certificate, some will
> complain and still accept it.

In my experience, *.mycompany.com would match foo.mycompany.com but not
foo.bar.mycompany.com - which may be sufficient if you can get into
people's heads that the domains are www.mycompany.com and
sales.mycompany.com and definitely not www.sales.mycompany.com

So I have a feeling that * would match 'com' or 'org' but nothing more
useful.  Though it may vary from browser to browser.

--
Chris
"No candidate achieved quota:             | "Candidates elected: