Re: apt-get upgrade and kernel images

I think I recall something about debian not upgrading kernel-images
except if the user asks for it explicitly.
I have been using debian for many years and I can't recall that I ever
have gotten an kernel upgrade if I haven't asked for it. Sometimes I had
installed a kernel-2.4-386 kernel that was a metapackage that would
always depend on the latest kernel, to always have a fresh kernel on
some testsystems. And if debian doesn't have a restrictive
kernel-upgrade policy I don't see why those meta packages would exist.
So it seems that even if there are no written policy to not do automatic
upgrades, there seems to have been some unwritten policy about it.

And since a kernelupgrade cause your computer useless, I think that a
restrictive kernel upgrade policy should be adopted if it doesn't exist.

//Mattias Eriksson