Re: apt-get upgrade and kernel images

----- Original Message -----
From: "Matt Zimmerman" <mdz@debian.org>
To: <debian-security@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 8:33 PM
Subject: Re: apt-get upgrade and kernel images

> On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 12:42:16AM -0800, Andris Kalnozols wrote:
>
> > I am running Debian testing and seem to recall that it was the policy of
> > apt-get to never bring in a kernel image package when doing an upgrade
> > after an update.
>
> apt has no such policy, and to my knowledge, never has.
>
> > Why is apt-get now bringing in kernel-image packages and needlessly so
> > since I already have the indicated version installed?
>
> You asked apt to upgrade installed packages to the latest version, and
since
> a newer version is available, it is doing so.
>
> --
>  - mdz
>

> --
listmaster@lists.debian.org

Yes, but for me was quite confusing that at first installation kernel isnot
a package. So if you install your Debian with boot floppies 2.4.18-bf2.4 you
never get update for this kernel. You must
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-bf2.4 or whatever you prefer and after
that update/upgrade work right way.

-- Riku