Re: apt-get upgrade and kernel images

On Tue, Mar 02, 2004 at 10:28:44AM +0100, Mattias Eriksson wrote:

> I think I recall something about debian not upgrading kernel-images
> except if the user asks for it explicitly.

Not unless you explicitly put them on hold (which you are of course free to
do).

> I have been using debian for many years and I can't recall that I ever
> have gotten an kernel upgrade if I haven't asked for it. Sometimes I had
> installed a kernel-2.4-386 kernel that was a metapackage that would
> always depend on the latest kernel, to always have a fresh kernel on
> some testsystems. And if debian doesn't have a restrictive
> kernel-upgrade policy I don't see why those meta packages would exist.

In general, different _upstream_ versions of the kernel are shipped in
packages with different names (the version number is in the package name),
so you won't be upgraded to 2.4.25 after installing 2.4.24 unless you've
installed a metapackage.  But you will be upgraded from 2.4.24-1 to
2.4.24-2, which is what you just saw.

--
 - mdz