Re: speaking of squid ports...

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <noahm@debian.org> writes:

> On Wed, Mar 26, 2003 at 02:15:28PM -0500, Kevin Cheek wrote:
> >
> > I believe that UDP port is for receiving DNS responses.
>
> Umm...  No.
>
> It's used for ICP, a protocol for intercommunication between squid
> caches.  For example, at my site we have two different caches.  One is
> basically transparent.  The other provides anonymizing services.  But,
> through ICP, both caches can make use of each other's cached objects.
>
> Dunno how you turn it off, though.  Iptables?  <shrug>
>
> noah

He already said he turned off the ICP port, so I'm guessing that isn't
it.  Also, the ICP port is 3130 by default, not 1414.

Squid also can use a udp port for snmp (default 3401).

FWIW, I found a couple of references to squid's use of a random high
udp port on the squid-user list.  The only responses I could find
indicated that this port is used for DNS.

-Kevin