Re: is iptables enough?

* Adrian 'Dagurashibanipal' von Bidder <avbidder@fortytwo.ch> [20030320 06:39 PST]:
> Set it up to block everything and then selectively open ports until
> everything works as desired. Depending on the applications it may be a
> good idea to REJECT auth (identd) packets instead of dropping them -
> some applications have long timeouts.

IMO, it's a good idea to REJECT instead of DROPping most packets.  If
you think DROPping makes you invisible, you're deluding yourself.  I
generally end my INPUT chain with

-p tcp -j REJECT --reject-with tcp-reset
-p udp -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
-j REJECT --reject-with icmp-proto-unreachable

Of course, different setups have different needs, but I think this is
pretty good for most home configurations

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/