Re: Apache user pages (was: Re: Permissions on /root/)

On Monday 10 March 2003 15.19, Rob VanFleet wrote:
> > No they don't.
> > You shouldn't place user websites in their home dirs. Place the
> > user "webspace" in e.g  /var/www/[user] and symlink from
> > public_html or whatever.
>
> ..and this makes a difference how...?  I'm not necessarily trying to
> disagree with you, I was just expecting an explanation as to why that
> is a better solution.

It's a simple solution to separate users home dirs from public view, so
to speak.
With this solution there is no need to make home dirs world readable,
thus you're able to set 700 on their homes which, as I see it, is a
good thing.

... and with chroot and a kernel patch you're should even be allowed to
put it on apublic net ;)

/Thomas
--
thomas@northernsecurity.net