Re: [work] Integrity of Debian packages

This is off-topic, but you should probably know: the FBI, CIA and others
were monitoring the hijackers _specifically_ prior to 9/11.

As a matter of tradecraft, Al Qaeda often mention specific times and
operations during calls, to flush out whether their calls are being
intercepted: they mention places/dates, to force the FBI, etc to pick
them up (and monitor from a safe distance; you lose some operatives, the
others continue. The intelligence agencies would rather monitor people
for as long as possible to catch all of them).

So it is a matter of policy not to automatically act on mention of an
attack. We don't know if the attackers said to each other, on 9/11,
"today is the day we hijack the planes"; we do know, that if they did,
and the FBI heard, they would not necessarily have acted upon it.

--
Alastair McKinstry <mckinstry@computer.org>
GPG Key fingerprint = 9E64 E714 8E08 81F9 F3DC  1020 FA8E 3790 9051 38F4

He that would make his own liberty secure must guard even his enemy from
oppression; for if he violates this duty he establishes a precedent that
will reach to himself.

- --Thomas Paine