Re: [SOLVED ?] Re: Versign has hijacked www.xmms.org

Michelle Konzack wrote:

michelle@michelle1:~ > ping www.SLD.org
PING: www.SLD.org.verisign.com (64.94.110.11): 56 data bytes

It looks like you have a "search" or "domain" line in /etc/resolv.conf
that extends your domain lookups to verisign.com or .com. Please remove these lines and try again.

Is it better to drop DNS and use IP only ?

No, because then you would be unable to access virtual web hosts and I guess you don't know all IP addresses and get notices of all changes you might be interested in.

This is a very heavy security issue for me, because if I make a mistake I can go in prison for long time...

Just don't try to access any domains that don't exist and you should be safe! :-)

Stefan