Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 06:05:13PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> That's been the policy, but's it's stupid nowadays. It's too easy to
> pull in an unexpected service when installing something with all the
> tasks and dependency chains. There needs to be a mode where a user can
> say, "I don't want to be a server" and no longer needs to worry about
> accidentally becoming a server.

I agree. I have often had machines which are provided limited, special
services and for which I specifically did *not* want *any* httpd. Just
try to get a reasonable single-service server configured out of a
debian install without resorting to manual hacks. You are stuck
with a mail server and a web server, like it or not.

I deal with it, but it just creates a lot of extra work and
long term support headaches.