Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 07:48:00AM -0700, Adam Lydick wrote:
> I haven't done more then look at the screen shots for it, but the
> "personal firewall" (eg: iptables frontend) that comes with RH9 looks to
> be default deny for most incoming traffic while providing a nice (read:
> graphical and straightforward) way to punch essential holes through it
> as needed. (and only as needed)

That could be a module within the debian-installer. Unfortunately, nobody
has gone ahead and written one. There are quite a lot of
firewall frontends a user can install after the installation [1] maybe
someone could move the code from there to a debian-installer module?

(..)
> I recall seeing a firewall.sh script in init.d, but it was plastered
> with warnings not to actually use it, so I didn't ;) Anyone know if more
> work has been done in this area?

You mean /etc/init.d/iptables, which is provided by 'iptables' (priority
'standard' and thus installed in most systems). It is one of the ways to
setup a firewall but there is no GUI for it.

Again, help is needed to address this issues so I suggest you fired up your
favorite editors and write patches for them.

Regards

Javi

[1]  This is docummented already:
http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/securing-debian-howto/ch-sec-services.en.html#s-firewall-setup