proxy/firewall question

Hi

I've read an article about FreeBSD which made me read some parts of the
FreeBSD docuemtations. in the firewall section there is a short description
about proxy firewalls. I've made some more searching and found a "free"
product called "TIS" which provide this functionality (which I thought was
only available on costly commercial products like checkpoint). a little
more searching got me to products available to linux (like dante), but in
their documentations I've read that it is used mainly for outgoing traffic.

I know very little about this subject, so I was wondering, is there a
product for linux that provide some more security for incoming traffic
(instread of just sophisticated filtering).

thanx
--
Haim