Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

For what its worth, and without wanting a distro-religious war about it,
Mandrake has a variety of security levels, which can be locally configured,
and which can allow exactly this sort of behavior;

At high security levels, any new services that get installed (from RPMs)
are only allowed from localhost or even, IIRC, services may not even
be started by default, neither post-install nor on reboot: you have to
set them up manually.

Might be worth a look to see how they did it to see if it can be easily
implemented on debian?