From: Adam Lydick [mailto:adam.lydick@verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, 24 September 2003 11:42 PM
To: debian-security@lists.debian.org
Subject: services installed and running "out of the box"

Is there any effort to reduce the number of services running on a
default debian install? For example: a typical workstation user doesn't
really need to have inetd enabled, nor portmap (unless they are running
fam or nfs -- which isn't enabled by default)

Is this something that needs to be taken up with individual package
maintainers? Or is there a single point of contact that helps choose
which packages are present in the base install?

Is this already documented somewhere that I should have already read? :)
If so, isn't it better to have to RTFM to turn something on as you need
it, rather then to need to remember to turn something off that you
aren't using?

Thanks,

Adam Lydick