Re: services installed and running "out of the box"

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 09:52:07PM -0400, Michael Stone wrote:
> Except, what is "default"? If you install a workstation task should you
> assume that you'll get open ports? (As the task packages pull in
> dependencies, etc.) I think it makes more sense to provide a safety net
> then to try to predict which packages the user is going to install "by
> default" and fix only those packages.

By "default" I was thinking the set of packages that you get if you
don't select any.  That is, if you don't select anything in tasksel
during installation (but you *do* run tasksel, per the default) and you
do not run dselect (again, per the default).

Granted, I'm basing that definition on woody's installer.  Sarge may end
up presenting things differently.  Unfortunately, none of my attempts at
trying out the new installer met with any success.

You're right, though.  Network services may be installed by things like
tasksel without the user actually explicitly asking for them.  A safety
net of some sort would be nice.  I don't know that I like the firewall
approach, though.  I'd be happy if the service simply didn't start by
default.  A port with nothing listening on it is basically just as
secure as a port with a firewall in front of it.

How 'bout this idea: We can create a user-definable policy as to whether
or not newly installed packages that provide init scripts actually have
these init scripts run during their postinst.  So, we have a file in
/etc/defaults or something that is sourced by postinst.  If a variable
(START_ON_INSTALL, or something) is set, then the service will be run if
this is a new install.  If it's an upgrade, then the service will be
restarted as usual.  If START_ON_INSTALL is not set, however, the
postinst will continue with its tasks but exit without actually starting
the service.  In the default installation, START_ON_INSTALL would be
unset, and services wouldn't get started.

It would require changing a whole mess of postinst scripts to implement,
but really shouldn't be hard to do.  I suppose it would be wise to limit
this functionality to daemons that provide networks services.  Things
like cron or at or whatever should probably be started after
installation, as they don't open a network port and don't require much
if any configuration to be useful.

noah