Re: Strange segmentation faults and Zombies

Ralf Dreibrodt wrote:
Hi,

Markus Schabel wrote:

I've seen some strange things on my (stable with security-updates)
server: the last apt-get update didn't work because gzip segfaultet.
I've copied gzip from another server over the version on this server,
but it also crashed. Interesting was that the executable was bigger
after the segfault.

try the following:

md5sum /bin/gzip
0abb7d14a76380d67843e5c24cc5bfc3  /bin/gzip
scp goodserver:/bin/gzip /bin/gzip
NO! Since there's the chance that the server got hacked I'm not
interested to give him other passwords. copied from the other server
via scp.
md5sum /bin/gzip
8ab687ecd2bef48937b4b08165206a9d  /bin/gzip
ls /bin/gzip
md5sum /bin/gzip
0abb7d14a76380d67843e5c24cc5bfc3  /bin/gzip
can you send the output?

i had the same problem on a few servers, every file was bigger before
the ls, but still worked.
beside gzip, it segfaultet.
you can also strace ls, normally ls does nothing in /proc, but this ls
had done anything in /proc.

But where is it from?
Have you installed/executed any binarys beside debian-packages?

No. see my other posting, there's quite a lot of info in it...

Regards,
Ralf Dreibrodt

thanks markus