Re: Strange segmentation faults and Zombies

Hi,

Markus Schabel wrote:

> I've seen some strange things on my (stable with security-updates)
> server: the last apt-get update didn't work because gzip segfaultet.
> I've copied gzip from another server over the version on this server,
> but it also crashed. Interesting was that the executable was bigger
> after the segfault.

try the following:

md5sum /bin/gzip
scp goodserver:/bin/gzip /bin/gzip
md5sum /bin/gzip
ls /bin/gzip
md5sum /bin/gzip

can you send the output?

i had the same problem on a few servers, every file was bigger before
the ls, but still worked.
beside gzip, it segfaultet.
you can also strace ls, normally ls does nothing in /proc, but this ls
had done anything in /proc.

But where is it from?
Have you installed/executed any binarys beside debian-packages?

Regards,
Ralf Dreibrodt