Re: Accounts for client programs

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:22:42 -0700 Simon Kirby <sim@netnation.com> wrote:

> I actually do this, and have been since when I was running Slackware
> 2.2.
> It takes some scripting and moving things around,

What do you have to move around?

> but I run X as root and
> run each application (mozilla, etc.,) as their own user.

Is there any problem with X authentication? I think it stores something
in home directory.

>  I also have a
> general "sim" for email and ident-aware things such as IRC.

What's "sim"? Common account? Would it be possible to just change group
id of files in your home folder and add application accounts to this
group as needed? Possibly using several group ids for various files.

>  It probably
> only really works in specific situations such as mine and it probably
> makes it far too easy to be lazy and run things as root, but I like to
> think I've saved a few years of my life not typing "su" and entering my
> root password every five seconds.

Here I don't understand what you mean by being lazy and by that "su"
stuff.