Why is proftpd always started when one update it?

Hi

This is really annoying and insecure. I have proftpd installed on my
debian in those rare occations I cannot use SSH to transfer files
from another computer. However I do not want proftpd to run except when
I start it manually myself and after the transfer I turn it off. I saw
now that there was an security alert for proftpd so I updated it and
again it put up symlinks in /etc/rcX.d/ so that the proftpd starts when
I boot the system. I had to do a update-rc.d -f proftpd remove again.

The first times I updated proftpd (and other servers) I didn't notice
that after an update it started them up even though I had turned that
off, so I was surprised to find them running. I think that you should
get asked if you want to start up the servers at boot time when you
install one. I don't find it good security practise to just assume the
installer wants it running at all times. And I don't understand why this
is still the default behaviour of Debian GNU/Linux.

If somebody could explain why it is like this it would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Preben Randhol
--
Ada95 is good for you.