Re: Why is proftpd always started when one update it?

Quoting Preben Randhol (randhol@pvv.org):

> I had to do a update-rc.d -f proftpd remove again.

> If somebody could explain why it is like this it would be nice.

>From man update-rc.d:

       If  any  files  /etc/rcrunlevel.d/[SK]??name already exist
       then update-rc.d does nothing.  This is so that the system
       administrator  can rearrange the links, provided that they
       leave at least one link remaining,  without  having  their
       configuration overwritten.

You should leave at least one K link in place so that when the installer
runs update-rc.d, it does nothing.

Cheers,