Re: machine monitoring packages

On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, Dariush Pietrzak wrote:

> > Don't know all the tools u are talking about, but maybe BigBrother
> > (http://bb4.com/) is what u are looking for?
>  Ehm, netsaint,nagios seems way more mature. And I don't intend to replace
> one of those tools. I want one tool for monitoring. Or maybe two ( monit

Can you run down the list of things you find way more mature in netsaint
over Big Brother (and maybe vice versa)? I am curious to know - since
you seem to have expert knowledge of all of these tools, if you make a
case, I would probably switch.

>  ( for example -> when monitoring services, the tools notices states
> up/down/lagged. Good. But why won't it save the data that it gathers and
> display this as graph? And archive the data so that one can analyze it.

Big Brother will keep a history of events and display it neatly.

>  And please don't be browser-centric.

I get an email when a service is down or slow. When I want to review the
history of things, I don't mind a little colour and separation. A matter
of taste and not anything else.

Ognen