Re: Cryptoswap -- was Re: raw disk access

Hi!

* Martin Hermanowski <martin@martin.mh57.net> [20030116 01:18]:
> > Andreas> patch-int is all of the above combined, for (optional)
> > Andreas> compilation into the kernel.
> >
> > That would have been my guess too.
> >
> > BTW, I've also grepped through the cryptoapi and cryptoloop sources, and
> > they seem to be only allocating memory at initialization and in the
> > digest functions too (which would be expected).  Yay!  I guess I'll be
> > setting up encrypted swap soon!  :-)

(sure - patch-int is cryptoapi+cryptoloop+ipsec_tunnel - see
http://www.kerneli.org/about/)

> Is it possible to use swsusp and crypto-swap? I'ld say no, because there
> is no way for the kernel to get the key before swsusp resumes.

d'accord.

> It there any other way to do this?

unless you use nvram or an external (cryptographic) token - no (storing
it on harddisk would be ridiculously stupid) .. I know of no current
implementation, but this could be done using e.g. Java iButtons,
SmartCards (e.g. Schlumberger Cryptoflex), USB Tokens and the like.
You'd want to authenticate against the USB Token on resume, thou.

   Count

--
Andreas Kotes - ICQ: 3741366 - The views expressed herein are (only) mine.
Unser Leben ist das, wozu unser Denken es macht. -- OpenPGP key 0x8F94C228