Re: Cryptoswap -- was Re: raw disk access

Rolf> * Quoting Joshua SS Miller (joshua@fitsnips.net):
>> Cryptoswap?  Hmm sound like something I was thinking about earlier
>> today.  Do you have a good resource for this?

Rolf> http://www.kerneli.org/index.php

Do the kerneli modules (officially) work with encrypted swap?  I know
loop-AES does, but I couldn't find anything about the kerneli
(cryptoapi/cryptoloop) modules.  (For loop-AES, do a Google search for
it.)

When encrypting swap, you need to make sure that you don't allocate new
memory.  Otherwise, it may cause some swapping, which makes you do
encryption, which may allocate new memory, ad infinitum.  loop-AES takes
care of that explicitly, by preallocating memory, but I don't think
cryptoapi/cryptoloop does, so you may be taking your chances with it.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA