Re: Cryptoswap -- was Re: raw disk access

Hi!

* Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> [20030115 21:33]:
> Andreas> FUD alert! I like loop-AES, too, and would REALLY love general
> Andreas> inclusion into Debian kernels, but this doesn't mean the
> Andreas> authors of alternatives are/may be idiots.
>
> Andreas> Please don't spread Fear, Uncertainty and Doubt without
> Andreas> referring to facts you're sure of. Leave that to Mickeysoft ;)
>
> I wasn't trying to spread FUD.  See how my first sentence was a
> question, and my use of "I couldn't find [information]" and "I don't
> think", all of which are asking for more clarification.

[..]

> If you can point me to an official statement, please let me know.
> Things to the effect of "it works for me" don't count, since the issue
> doesn't seem to be terribly likely to occur.  Since you have asked me
> not to spread FUD without referring to facts, I would ask that you
> return the same courtesy and not call someone on spreading FUD without
> referring to facts.

have a look at the sourcecode in e.g.
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/hvr/testing/patch-int-2.4.20.1.bz2

.. the only places where memory allocation occurs at all is during
initialization and when using a digest. for a read or write access
memory pointers are set up and are passed to the function implementing
the cipher algorithm. none of these do any memory allocation at all, but
work on existing memory.

no need to find a statment saying `the code does what the code says`.

   Count

--
Andreas Kotes - ICQ: 3741366 - The views expressed herein are (only) mine.
Unser Leben ist das, wozu unser Denken es macht. -- OpenPGP key 0x8F94C228