Re: raw disk access

viv <viv@veeev.com> writes:

> 	i thought originally that dd would work and tried to 'image'
> 	a couple of CDs, but they came out to different sizes although
> 	both were 650MB CDs.  The disk sizes differed by about 3 MB,
> 	so i assumed dd was missing something.  Imaging 2 floppies
> 	yielded different sized images as well.

CDs are different from floppies.  It's normal that different CDs have
different sizes (and AFAIK, there's no clear end marker, so I wouldn't
be surprised if the readable area is larger with some drivers than
with others).

--
Florian Weimer 	                  Weimer@CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE
University of Stuttgart           http://CERT.Uni-Stuttgart.DE/people/fw/